Sunday, October 07, 2007

Marathon Makeup

Ms. New Beauty has been leading an incredibly busy life lately. Most days, she's up by 5:45, out of the house by 6:30, and doesn't come back until 9 pm, if she's lucky. With that kind of schedule, she's pared her daily makeup routine down to just the basics - concealer where needed, a dab of blush, and a quick slick of lipgloss. These were the only cosmetics that MNB could count on to stand up to her long and sometimes grueling days. But where's the fun in that? Ms. New Beauty is a girly girl. She likes to do different things with her look everyday. She wants to do a deep and dark smokey eye one day and then sport a bright wash of color the next. She longed for a way to look done without having to lug a million cosmetics in her already back-breaking bag. Luckily, she found two things in her makeup that claimed to do just that. And, to her surprise, Ms. New Beauty found that they really did work.

M.A.C. Painterly Paint Pots

I got the painterly eyeshadows about two months ago and I instantly fell in love with the colors and the smooth textures. But, it wasn't until this past week when I realized how wonderful they really are. My eyelids get hopelessly oily. It really is just ridiculous. By the end of the day, powder eyeshadow basically just evaporates off of my lids. There only remains just the slightest hint of eyeshadow past in my creases. So, I either have to bring my shadows to reapply them throughout the day or just go without it all together. Considering that I hate those little sponge applicators and don't want to lug my whole brush collection in my purse, I typically just skip eyeshadow for all but the most important events. Not anymore.

The Paint Pots really do last all day long. I mean ALL DAY. Thursday, I gave my eyes a sweep of a pretty aqua blue at 6 am and the color was still exactly where I applied it when I got home at 8:30 that night. Yesterday, I used a lovely pearly chocolate shade and it lasted through my sister's wedding ceremony and all night reception. I've even had success in using some of the neutral shades as a eyeshadow base and layering other colors on top of them. I am truly in love!

I'm no cosmetic chemist, but I think what makes the color last is its light and smooth texture. Most cream shadows feel a little oily and heavy, but this one feels like its formula is water, not oil, based. Whatever the science, I can truly say that these colors last until you take them off. And, that is so helpful in preserving my sexy and keeping my look together. The best part is that these Paint Pots are now part of the permanent M.A.C. Collection so you'll be able to use and love them for years and years to come.

$16.50, available at M.A.C. counters

Prescriptives Here to Stay 24-Hour Longwear Mascara

My eyelids don't just stop at melting away my eyeshadows. Sometimes, especially those long tiring days when I'm given to rubbing my sleepy eyes like a toddler, my mascara tags along with the eyeshadow on Destination Evaporation. So, I definitely need to find formulas that will last all day long too, lest I end up looking like I expend absolutely no effort on my face in the morning.

Prescriptives has introduced what they call the first 24-Hour Mascara. The formula is waterproof itself and can be used on top of other mascaras to make them water resistant. It also comes with the flexible fiber brush that really hits each lash with no clumps that I absolutely love. It really separates and lengthens my lashes without clumping at all. I used three coats yesterday to prepare for the wedding and it went on smooth with no clumps or spidery lashes.

Now, I put this mascara through its paces to see if it really does all that it claims. I went swimming with it on and it was gone by the time I was done doing my laps. I slept in it and my lashes were clean when I woke up. But, it certainly does last through normal, awake, non-aquatic use.

$19.50, available at Prescriptives counters


Put your eyes on in the morning, and have them last throughout the night, but just don't forget that Ms. New Beauty told you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: I went to puchase a MAC paint pot on your recommendation (I have the same problem with oily eyelids - and you're right, it is totally frustrating & ridiculous!) and the sales girl suggested applying shadow on top of the sheer color. Your thoughts? Thanks!!

Ms. New Beauty said...

I've been using one of the lighter skin tone shades and putting powder shadow over top of it. It really does work. Get a paint pot that's close to your skin color and go for it. That way you can still enjoy all of your favorite powder shadows without worrying about them disappearing during the day.

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks