Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Faux Naturale

Ms. New Beauty is not really one for assumptions. She tries not to assume too many things about other people and she certainly is no fan of people making assumptions about her. Often, when those assumptions are based on nothing but outward appearances, she doesn't even correct them. MNB will let people continue on assuming things about her just for her amusement. She found it particularly funny her a few of her college classmates assumed that the $7 sneakers she found in Marshall's were by some famous Italian designer. When they stopped to complement her on her new "Moschino" shoes, she simply smiled and said thank you, giggling to herself as she walked away. And, when people remark on how beautiful she looks with no makeup even when her cosmetics bag is filled to the brim, she does the same. Ms. New Beauty really likes the latter assumption because it means two things - one, that she's applied everything with the right, light touch, and two, that her products are doing exactly what they should, blending in and letting MNB's natural beauty shine through. So, today's post is all about those products that are so good, the results look completely natural.

Tarte Cheek Stain in Sunkissed

If you know me, then you know I've been in love with Tarte Cheek Stain for years. I've convinced most of my friends and even some of their mothers to try it. Flush is my go to shade and was one of the first products I blogged about. It gives me the perfect hint of just-ran-up-the-stairs color and goes on so smooth and so easy. I've been using it for so long that I can apply it without out a mirror. But now, I'm totally in love with Flush's chocolatey caramel sister.

Sunkissed is the perfect bronzer shade. It's a rich caramel that is impossibly sheer. It's almost the color of a self-tanner, just without the cheek-staining, streaky palms, lasts for two weeks side effects. Just a dab on cheekbones gives the most authentic looking, back from the beach hint of color. But what really makes it stand out is the one thing that it doesn't have - shimmer! Most bronzers have some sort of shimmer or glitter in them that looks flattering on skin but completely ruins the "what? I wake up looking like this" effect we're talking about today. But this one is all color and no glitter to even out your skin and give you a subtle glow. For brown girls, it can even take the place of your foundation. Just apply and blend and it'll even out any discoloration or uneven complexion problems you may have.

$28, available at Sephora.

I know at first glance, almost thirty bucks might be a little much to pay for blush/bronzer, but trust me it's worth it. The color is fabulous and it lasts forever. I bought my first Flush four years ago and I'm still barely halfway through it.

Bourjois Glossy Wet-Look Mascara Top Coat

This little tube is one of the cutest cosmetics in my case. It's designed to snap right into any Bourjois Mascara and give a shiny top coat but I like it way better all by itself. Just glide onto clean lashes for a subtle yet defined look. The clear formula gives you all the benefits of mascara but without the black lashes that are a dead giveaway that you're wearing makeup. This tube doesn't come with a brush, just a slim rod that you run against your lashes, so make sure you curl and separate before application. Just use an eyelash curler and a clean mascara brush or comb to separate and then use this on top. It makes me eyes look wide open and clean. And, don't let that shimmery blue scare you, it goes on completely clear.

For an extra bright-eyed and bushy-tailed feel, line just your lower lashes with a white or fleshtoned eye liner to really open everything up. This is the perfect look for New Beauties who never leave the house without makeup but don't want to feel too high-maintenanced or pretentions by wearing a full face to something like a spinning class or a Habitat for Humanity build.

$7.50, available at Ulta.
Go faux naturale, but make sure you're wearing the right cosmetics when you do, and don't forget that Ms. New Beauty told you!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have been looking for a few products to complete my no-makeup look. I have been reading about Tarte cheek stains for a while now, I have to try the Sunkissed. I love your blog!

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks