Monday, January 07, 2008

Matte-r of Fact

Welcome to 2008 New Beauties! After a whirlwind week in Vegas with the girls, Ms. New Beauty is finally back to posting. (MNB would normally dish and give you all the details, but as they say, "what happens in Vegas, didn't happen" so she'll respect the code of Sin City and let all those scandalous secrets come with her to the grave). This reader question came in a long, long, ignorantly long time ago. And, MNB actually had this all typed up and ready to go, but life and holidays got in the way, so she's just now posting it.
MNB,

I need your help! By the end of the day, my skin gets very oily and my makeup just slid right off my face. I need a solution for this problem so I can avoid being so shiny and greasy. (Please don't say blot paper -- it doesn't work for me). I want the same effect at 8:00 in the morning as well as 8:00 at night. Help!

Oily Skin in Overdrive
My darling Overdrive, Ms. New Beauty is here to help.

Foundation Fixes

First thing's first. If your skin is oily and shiny, make "oil free" your two favorite words. Any foundation you use should be completely oil free. You don't need any extra oil when your face is producing plenty of its own. Also, try to use as little foundation or concealer as you can. The less makeup you put on your face, the less that'll be there to melt away. A cakey concealer right on any blemishes or discoloration will help you achieve the same look without the extra layer of product to feel heavy on your skin.

Smashbox Photo Finish Light Foundation Primer

Here's the point where most people would recommend a foundation primer. And, I have to be completely honest with you, I didn't like them. Every one that I've used goes on matte and looks like it's barely there, but they always make my skin feel incredibly oily since most formulas tend to be silicone based. I don't care what it looks like. If I feel like I've been dipped in grease right along with the Colonel's extra crispy, I'll pass. Or, I used to pass.

Smashbox is one of the innovators when it comes to foundation primer. Their formulas are beloved by makeup artists and cosmetic junkies alike. But, typically, for us oily girls, the results were just like what I described - looks matte, but feels greasy. This new light formula corrects that problem. The result is still the same - a matter finish for your face - but the feel is better. It's much thinner than typical primers and feels like it almost evaporates on contact so your skin doesn't feel bogged down.

My only gripe with this new one is the bottle. The original Smashbox foundation primers came in frosted glass bottles and the look was a little more elegant. This one is in a plastic bottle and though sort of the same style, it really just looks like the regular primers' broke down, cheap little sister. Hopefully, Smashbox isn't transitioning to cheaper plastic packaging all around for the rest of the line.

$36, available at Sephora

Too Faced Absolutely Invisible Pressed Powder

Most fashion and beauty magazines I read tend to shy away from recommending pressed powder, claiming that it can make your skin look cakey. But when you're really oily, your skin will just eat that powder up before it has time to cake. What I love about this powder is that it actually lives up to its name. Don't let that pale peachy color fool you, it is absolutely invisible once you put it on. I am quite brown-skinned and I use this everyday without looking like a geisha. Just make sure you only apply to your oiliest areas, like your forehead and nose. A completely matte face just isn't natural looking, even if you can't see the powder. This also keeps your skin feeling good while it looks good. It's light and won't make you feel weighed down under a pound of product.

This compact comes with its own application sponge to make applying on the go really easy. But, unless you want to throw your money away, pay special attention to the way you put the sponge away. Make sure you always place the side you rub against your face up, facing the mirror. This powder is so oil-absorbent, if you put the sponge face side down, it will absorb the oil from your face that's now on the sponge, harden up and be unusable.

$22.50, available at Sephora


Stay shine free while keeping your skin feeling great, but just don't forget that Ms. New Beauty told you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Great product recommendations! I am going to put these on my list to try at Sephora. I have combination skin with oiliness on the t-zone, cheeks and forehead. I like the regular Smashbox primer but it does not quite do the job some days.

Anonymous said...

The solution to this cakey problem is to use a soft face brush instead of the pad/sponge that these pressed powders usually come with. Swirling the brush around the product a few times and then buffing it on creates a more sheer effect : )

Too Faced does have some good products. Good rec.

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks