Friday, January 19, 2007

5 Things You Don't Know About Me

Every morning Ms. New Beauty follows pretty much the same shedule - wake up; contemplate going back to sleep; decide to stay up; turn the tv to the Oxygen network for reruns; turn on the computer; check email and favorite blogs for updates. MNB checks every blog under her favorites list every day, sometimes several times a day. Well this morning began just like all the others. Her television was playing an old episode of Living Single and MNB was cruising through the blog list. Reading through The Life of a Ladybug posts as usual, MNB was surprised and flattered to be tagged by Toya to participate in this game going around the beauty and style blogs, 5 Things You Don't Know About Me. So here goes.

1. I have an endless memory for minutia. Trivia games, especially pop culture stuff, are right up my alley. I can remember the most mundane details of life. I can still remember what outfits I had on during all the memorable points of my life, right down to the brand of clothes, store I bought it from and the purchase price. One day, I'm going to try out for Jeopardy and the World Series of Pop Culture. This is what made me a beauty resource for my friends, and eventually the web, via this blog. If I hear something about an additive or ingredient that makes a product better, I remember it. When I learn the difference between one product and another, I keep that tucked away until I or somebody else needs it.

2. If I can't read one of my magazines from cover to cover, I don't even bother. I subscribe to almost 15 magazines and I read every tidbit each month. Every little blurb, bubble, article. I read it. The only thing that I tend to skip is the cover story about "Random Actress with Movie Coming Out Next Month." It's the content that actually interests me, not the same old fluff pieces about actresses that truly aren't that interesting to begin with.

3. I am less than six months away from graduating law school and I have no clue what I am going to do. I am one of the few people in my class that does not have a permanent job all lined up for post-graduation. I had an offer from a really nice law firm, paying a really nice salary (I mean reeeeeaaaalllyyy nice), but I turned it down because I realized that is not what I want to do. I think I'm too young to start out my career by settling for something I do well but don't enjoy. At this point, I'm trying to figure out how to turn my love for beauty, style, and fashion and my natural talents into some kind of career. We'll see.

4. I am never ever barefoot. Something about walking around barefoot just grosses me out. When I am home, I always have on socks and slippers. Just the thought of putting my socks or feet on the floor where people walk with shoes makes me uncomfortable. I can't imagine putting the dirt from the floor onto the sheets where I sleep. I know I'm weird about stuff like that. Even in the summer when I'm wearing flip flops and sandals all day, as soon as I come home, I wash my feet and put on socks.

5. I want to be fluent in three languages by the time I'm 30. Clearly, I'm fluent in English, but I guess that's really no feat to brag about. I studied Spanish for three years, so I can read and write it pretty well but speaking it is such a challenge. I learned French two summers ago because I was living in North Africa where they speak French and Arabic. I knew that I wouldn't be able to learn Arabic, so I chose French. I actually speak it pretty well, and for some reason, I can understand French speakers as long as they aren't French. When Haitians, Africans, or Canadians speak French, I'm right there. But if someone from France says anything to me, I turn into Baby Huey. I think after I graduate but before I start working (whenever and where ever that may be), I'm going to go to France for a language immersion program.

Now, you know a little bit more about the woman behind Ms. New Beauty (I guess this may count as number 6, but my name is Antonia). To keep the revelations coming, I'm tagging Johnica, Sylvia, The Ghetto Fashionista, and Tia Williams (this one's a longshot, but she's one of my favorite bloggers/writers so it's worth a try).

Have a great day ladies, learn about yourselves and others, and don't forget that Ms. New Beauty told you!

6 Comments:

TheBeautyBrains said...

I've been a cosmetic chemist for years and I still don't know what I want to do! And I also hate being barefoot. Floors and sidewalks are so cold.

Left Brain

Ms. New Beauty said...

Thanks. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

ooo Tia responded to your tag! yay!

Ms. New Beauty said...

For real?!?! Thanks for letting me know.

whitney said...

What a funny post! I am with you on the "OMG, I'm about to graduate...what am I going to do"-thing, only I'm in undergrad but I still feel a lot of pressure to have it all figured out by May...and I also watch Oxygen in the AM!! Living Single is my SHOW!

yummy411 said...

hi MNB,
how about being a law clerk until you figure out how you are going to turn beauty and fashion into a profession? just a thought. not practicing law, but still in the law field.
yay! tia responded to you =)

welcome to the BBN!

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks